Saturday, January 12, 2013

REVIEW: Trader Joe's Pecan Pie Ice Cream


 
I shop at Trader Joe's every week or so for their non-fat Greek yogurt (the version with 22 grams of protein per serving), frozen blueberries, almond butter, etc. On a recent trip, I saw this flavor and immediately had to try it. I LOVE pecan pie, and I had read good reviews about Trader Joe's Ginger Snap ice cream. Plus, a half gal of this was only like $4.50 including tax so into my cart it went haha.
 
Pros: super premium, dense texture. Nice distribution of pecans. Nice price.

Cons: My biggest gripe is their lack of pie crust. I dug through the entire quart and sometimes, I would come across a crusty-looking morsel, but when I had excavated & tasted it, it didn't taste like anything. Super bland and negligible pie crust presence. Also, the ice cream flavor was more of maple syrup than pecan pie. The pecan pie "filling" was too icy; I was wanting a thick swirl.

Rating: 3.5/5

Overall Thoughts: It's not average (3/5 stars), but it's not great either (4/5 stars). It had its pros & cons. Won't be purchasing this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment